Pages

Saturday, In The Park... Happy 4th!

To those of you who aren't working today, congratulations!

As for the rest of you, I feel your pain. It's been a while since Independence Day was on a Saturday, and I was wanting to make like Chicago and spend Saturday in the Park! Oh well.

I thought I would take the time to endorse dressing for a holiday without looking like... a schmuck. I always dread holiday parties for this reason... take Christmas for example. How many of us have gone to a party where some idiot is wearing a green shirt with a red tie. And reindeer antlers. Or a Santa hat. Or even worse, a "theme tie" depicting jolly ol' St. Nick climbing out of a chimney. I shiver at the thought. Anyway... enough is enough. We have a different holiday to deal with.
Enter Independence day, when 51% of traffic accidents involve drunks, when it's usually quite hot and when an Uncle Sam hat and an American flag hawaiian shirt may as well be billboards to the boys in blue to arrest you. That's not patriotism. It's stupidity. It's tackiness. It's usually seen on someone who is or is soon to be wasted. Schmuckisms can land you in jail! It's time to incorporate some red white and blue into your outfit with panache.
I'm using my ensemble as an example today because, well, this is my blog. If you feel the need for an unexpected twist, be subtle. I chose a belt with some red in it, but nothing that I couldn't wear on any other day than the 4th of July. A twist should not be a gimmick. Feel free to experiment, but keep a few points in mind.

a) Blue shirt. This serves as your "blue". The white shirt with red and blue striped tie, or white shirt with red solid tie and navy suit... not unless you're a politician. At least today.

b) Wear cotton. It's friggin' hot out there! A khaki suit or blazer gives you breathability and style. I chose a blazer by Brooks Brothers. How much more all American can you get?!

c) The pocket square: I seldom go without one, but you can if it's not your thing. However, if you do, the 4th calls for one crisply folded (in my opinion, as something needs to offset the playful nature of other elements of the outfit), but have some fun. You don't have to stick to white. Choose one in red, white or blue.

d) The tie: incorporate those American colors, but flag ties and fireworks ties are a no. A well-dressed man has no need for theme ties. They scream gimmickry.

Enjoy your holiday, tie one on in a safe manner, and take some cues from the examples shown. If you don't have to wear a tie and blazer, don't, but if the occasion calls for it, you'll hopefully be a little bit more prepared after this read than you were before!
Cheers!
Paul

btemplates

0 comments: