Pages

The Leather Weekend Bag

Hello again. Today we will discuss the accessory that is not always with you, but when it is, it lends all of its charm to your personal style: the leather weekend bag. When strolling through an airport or hailing a cab; when racing down an unfamiliar street dodging raindrops to find your hotel; when getting into your own car for a spontaneous roadtrip/getaway; or simply when going to the gym... you will always look better when accompanied by the right kind of utilitarian device for stowing your personal effects.

Hell... there have been times when I have used my leather weekender as a stand-in for a tired briefcase, simply because there is more allure to this type of bag. It makes me feel like I have places to go and things to do; like at any moment I could be hopping a flight to London or getting in my car and just driving until I can't stay awake any longer. It changes the outlook of one's day... especially knowing that space for a pair of jeans, a clean pair of socks, and a fresh white t-shirt are literally at one's fingertips.

The style of bag that I like the most is known as a carpenter bag or doctor's bag, usually wide bottomed with a wire-rimmed or ridgid open mouth that closes with a triangular profile (see picture). If we are going for nostalgic allure, this is the style to go with, in my opinion. The look is iconic and classic. Choose a supple, buttery leather, pliable and soft to the touch. This leather will look better the older it gets, the more it ages. Let the bag get a little beat up. Don't fear character marks that come from love and companionship. Skip the back-pack and let your weekend bag join you on that overnight Thanksgiving trip to Aunt Agnes's. And that fishing and camping trip that you take once a year... you know the one... the one where you make the annual concession to smoke a joint and drink expensive scotch with a couple of college buddies. Oh, and that short business trip that doesn't justify having to mortgage your kids in order to check luggage at the airport. Just carry on. Carry this bag. This is the one you need.

I don't know about you, but I let a bag like this serve as somewhat of a metaphor for how I want my life to be... prepared for anything, timeless, stylish... oh... and indispensible.
Until next time,
Cheers!

-Paul

btemplates

0 comments: