Pages

The Plaidness Madness

Hello again all. I hope the Thanksgiving holiday was wonderful for all of you. The ensuing holiday chaos coupled with my charge of leading sales training seminars last month made my writings sparse, and I offer my most humble apology. I am now trying to get back into regular postings, so thank you for bearing with me. I figured I would start off December with the mention of a look that I've seen quite a lot this season, and after trying it out, I think the look works great!

Dress up the plaid shirt. With a suit or a nice blazer or sport coat, the right plaid shirt and tie combo is great for injecting color into an ensemble. With a suit, basic navy, black, or gray works best. Since the pattern in the shirt is pretty bold, one should abstain from a patterned suit, be it stripes or checks, regardless of pattern scale. You don't want to look like an optical illusion. With a sport coat, a faint pattern works, but the tie and the pants should be solid to balance out the look and avoid a case of ocular malaise... unless you want to look like a patchwork quilt.

When the pants and jacket are solid one can sport a patterned tie, but again, the busy nature of plaid requires an ode to minimalism. Bold stripes or a repeating logo should be the extent of the pattern. Stick with a dark tie and pick up one of the colors from the shirt, as I've done with navy in the pictured examples (click for large images). Have some fun with it though. The look works, so make it work for you.

Until next time,
Cheers!
-Paul

btemplates

0 comments: